The 6th Annual E-Tourism Africa Summit, sponsored by South African Tourism, brought together all the brightest and the best to share ways of harnessing digital technology and social media to grow the tourism industry.
This year’s event, which took place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre on the 9th and 10th of September, attracted more than 360 participants and trended on Twitter in South Africa on both days. For those who couldn’t make it, here’s a summary of what transpired.
Ten key takeouts
- Due to the social media explosion, your customers are your sales people.
- Contemporary travel is more spontaneous and highly connected.
- Wi-Fi is a travel essential; make it free if you want to bring in the customers.
- Social media referrals carry more weight than traditional media.
- Pictures and videos have stronger pulling power than words.
- There are many free social media tools you can use to market your business.
- Innovative social media campaigns involving real people can have enormous impact with relatively little marketing budget.
- Clarity, simplicity and ease of use are the hallmarks of a successful online presence.
- Emerging markets are an important source of future tourists.
- Much of the future for travel and tourism is in mobile, especially in Africa