New scam alert!
Scamming is becoming increasingly sophisticated and so have to be more alert and find out how we protect ourselves.
Beware of the latest scam
One of the newest ways that scammers are targeting people is to intercept invoices, edit banking details and send it to “customers” for payment. Recipients of the emails think it is legitimate and pay the money into the scammer’s account.
How can you prevent this happening to you?
Investec recently published an article on this kind of fraud with tips on how to protect yourself.
- Let your current and new clients know that if they even receive any correspondence announcing a change in bank details, advise them to contact you and verify you are banking details before they pay.
- You can also consider leaving your bank details off your invoices and call clients to give them this information instead.
- If you are an individual who is supplying banking details, do not email invoices with bank details. Rather give your banking information directly over the telephone.
- Watch out for phishing scams. What is a phishing email and how to spot it?
- Setup checks on your email like two factor login verification.
We hope that this information is helpful and will be useful in protecting yourself against scammers.